Saturday, March 04, 2006

Wednesday nights well-spent...



The other day, I was telling Kirsten how I dread helping with the Kindergarten class each Wednesday night, but how much I love it once I'm there and how I leave in a good mood each week. (It's kinda' like working out at the gym!)

So, anyways, each week there is a craft, a lesson, songs, prayer, and a snack. Our craft has been an ongoing project for the last few weeks because we're building little "Mini Me"s who are ready for battle in the Lord's Army. The cardboard template of a tiny human dressed in flannel clothes & yarn hair that we started with weeks ago now has a shield of faith, a belt of truth, a breastplate of righteousness, a helmet of salvation, etc.

Last Wednesday, we used muffin cup liners, glitter glue, and tinsel to make our helmets. While they dried, we gathered for circle time and songs across the room. (This part is so cool because the kids LOVE to sit in our laps or beside us; unlike middle schoolers who rarely like or respect their teachers as they should, kindergarteners and first graders RACE to see who can get in our laps or leaning against our sides first. It does wonders for the self-esteem of a middle school librarian!)

Sarah, who looks like Bethany did back in Kindergarten, but with brown eyes instead of blue ones, beat everyone to my lap this week. The kids were singing and laughing and taking turns being the song leader in Circle Time when little Sarah--perched in my lap and leaning against my chest--looked up at me with her big brown eyes and said, "Miss Kristy! I'm your breastplate of righteousness!"

We both cracked up and laughed until Miss Crystal asked what was going on. As soon as I told her why, the student in her lap said, "Yeah! Me, too. I'm your breastplate of righteousness, Miss Crystal!" Everyone had a good laugh, and we gave cuddles to the two lucky enough to get to that coveted lap position first.

How cute is that? I swear to you...I get so much more from these sweet children than I give...

1 comment:

Karen said...

You're not fooling anyone. I know what you're going to do with those mini-me's! (Somebody hide the hat pins!)

Check out that picture really closely, folks. Somebody in that picture needs some ritalin and somebody else needs some aspirin.

Just kidding, Sis. These are stars in your crown and blessings to your heart! Keep up the good work, fight the good fight and finish the race! Well done!!!!