Sunday, September 10, 2006

2 Random Thoughts

As anyone who has ever stood next to me in church can attest, I'm not *strong* in the vocal department. It's much more "making a joyful noise"* rather than singing...but the Wednesday night kindergarteners seem to love singing so much that, for the last three years, I've just closed my eyes and launched into chorus, willy-nilly.

Whether I hit the note or not, these kids DO NOT CARE. All they care about is that I get all the hand motions right...Zacchaeus climbing the sycamore tree, marching in the infantry, riding in the cavalry, flying o'er the enemy, the foolish man's house going splat, tickling them during "Fruits of the Spirit," and a jillion other facial/hand/body coordinations.

So, anyway, our class got a new teacher last week ("Mr. Jeff"), and when he led singing, he chose "Blue Skies and Rainbows." As usual, I just squeezed my eyes shut and threw myself into it whole-heartedly. Imagine my surprise when Mr. Jeff threw down some serious vocals--soaring FALSETTO HARMONY!

Random thought #1: "Wow. We're like a very pale Peaches 'n Herb!"

Yesterday, on my way out of Albertson's, the boy carrying my grocery bags was a former student who reminded me that he'd been at Madison FOUR years instead of three because he'd flunked 8th grade, but that he was doing better now. We visited about his geometry class and life at The Big High School, he put my four grocery bags in the back of the Tribute, and we wished each other a good day. I jumped in the front seat and realized something ridiculous.

Random thought #2: "I just lifted weights for an hour and a half in a Power Pump class at Gold's Gym...and then made some poor teenager tote my groceries to the car."

Hope you have a great week, filled with happiness and songs and random thoughts that make you smile!

*Psalms 95:1 "O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!"

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Well, not only did you powerpump and make him carry your grocery's (one of those things only American's do) you also perspired :-) But it was a nice windy day and you probably stood downwind from him.
Who was it? You didn't mention names...

Anonymous said...

You are a brave soul to teach kindergartners in Sunday School, go to power pump classes at the gym, AND get up at 4:55 a.m. and write about it!

I'm proud of you!

Love,
Mom