Saturday, January 27, 2007

Rhinovirus Season...

How long can we dodge the bullet called the Common Cold?

So far this school year, neither Mike nor I have had a cold…and for public school teachers, this is huge. HUGE! (We catch everything, at least once, each year.)

Rhinovirus. It seems so pretty...

Librarians go from one disgusting keyboard to another all day long. All day. Every day. Last week, one teacher really grossed me out when she said a recent scientific study revealed that keyboards were more germ-laden and infectious than toilet seats.

Toilets? Worse than TOILETS???!!!

Thanks a lot, lady. Ever since she shared this news nugget, I keep imagining everyone's fingers furiously typing away on potty seats all day...ick…

So, anyway, partial credit for our unprecedented healthy streak must belong to the new Black & Decker juicer Mike got for Christmas…and all the fresh lime juice we’re enjoying in our tea and mojitos. (I *always* drink mojitos without the sugar…and often drink them without the rum, so please don’t go thinking we’re alcoholics or anything…)

So let’s all stock up on citrus…Punxsutawney Phil won’t make his prediction until 7:25 a.m. on February 2nd, and I’m betting he tells the good people of Gobbler’s Knob to expect six more weeks of winter. (Hmm. Having some zinc lozenges in the medicine cabinet might be a good idea…just in case the limes aren't as powerful as they seem…)

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

Well, if you must talk about toilets, check this one out!
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=3ydkz88
You will "love" it :-) No more germs!!!

Karen said...

We've been hit already this year. When Molly asked if we had anything to make her heal quicker, I gave her a grapefruit and then I gave her a "cherry flavor" zinc lozenge. (I don't know how they get away with saying "cherry flavor"--if there were actually such thing as truth in advertising, they'd say "tastes like sucking on an old green penny".) Anyway, she didn't want to keep it in her mouth until I told her that Aunt Kristy LOVES them. She ate it and got over her cold over twice as fast as I did. (I'm not sucking one of those disgusting things!)

mad4books said...

Yeah. Super-tastin' ain't easy.

Rock on, Molly! You and Hannah are Kristy Juniors...and Bethany is Karen the Second...

Tom said...

The English Navy forced their seamen to eat a lime a day...it worked for them. It also destroyed their teeth, I hear...and got them the name, Limeys.

come to me for extraneous and useless information.

mad4books said...

LOL! You bet! Like at Christmas, when we called to confirm the distance from Florida to Cuba.

(Bethany thinks we're cartography nerds...) ;-)

Sandra said...

Hubby got the flu AND a 24 hour stomach thing in 2 1/2 weeks time, and that was WITH the flu shot last year. My boss also had a several bronchitis AND the stomach thing. And ME inbetween the home-and-work-threat? Nothing! And I truly believe it is the fresh squeezed lemon juice I drink every morning. Even yummier with hot water to make it a nice lemony 'tea'. LOVE IT AND IT WORKS. (Just have to get over that 'ehw' face and the raised eyebrow every morning :)