Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Day of Mourning for All Taste Buds...

My favorite salad dressing of all time is vanishing; it’s no longer available at HEB or at Central Market in Fort Worth! If you never had a chance to try the Classic Greek with Imported Olive Oil by New England Inn Recipes brand, your taste buds have been robbed of the most enjoyable salad dressing of all time.


(The spices? Just right. Addictive, even. The sugar? Almost none…1 gram…just how I like it!)

The ingredient list exactly as it appears on the label: Vegetable oil (Soybean and/or Canola, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Cider Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic, Contains 2% or less of Monosodium Glutamate (to enhance flavor), Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate and Xanthan Gum (thickeners), Calcium Disodium EDTA to preserve freshness, Beta Carotene (color).

Now how am I going to reproduce THAT flavor at home? “Spices” hardly lets me know which ones, and where am I supposed to find calcium disodium or propylene glycol alginate? I don’t think HEB even has an algae aisle.

Well, all I can do now is contact Crowley & Shay’s Gourmet Foods, P.O. Box 849, Marlborough, MA, 01752 or call 1.800.318.3140 (on a Monday through Friday, 9-5 Eastern) to find out where this particular dressing is still available in Texas…or to see how much it is to order a case at a time!

Afraid that this dressing has gone the way of other great products from my past (Addams' Sour Apple gum and Gee! Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo),
Kristy


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why have you kept this dressing a secret? I didn't know about it, but I'll see if it's available in Virginia. If not, you may just have to visit some Greeks to find the prototype for the commercial dressing. You can start by visiting THIS Greek, how about it?
Love,
Linda (Greek) Fowler

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of losing your favorite salad dressing! My loss was "Green Goddess" salad dressing, a creamy, flavorful dressing containing anchovy paste and capers. It was wonderful! Many of my vintage recipes call for it, but it has vanished from the grocery store shelves.

New Englanders have lost their favorite "Royal Lunch Milk Crackers," a favorite with their clam "chow-dah." Ask Melanie if she has heard folks bemoaning the disappearance Nabisco milk crackers.

Moral to this story? When you find something you like, stock up! But beware--the expiration date is there for a reason.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I live in California and they have a ton of this brand (not sure if they have that particular flavor though) at Big Lots. You might want to call there.

mad4books said...

Hey, thanks, Anonymous from California! Good idea to try Big Lots.

And here's a piece of good news...I was able to score TEN bottles today in Austin, Texas!

Anonymous said...

Just went by Big Lots last night (La Canada, CA) and they had tons of the Greek dressing for $1 a bottle. On your say-so, I bought a few! The reason I found your blog in the first place is I bought this brand and Googled it to see if it's any good...and up came your blog.

Big Lots. 818-248-5755 • 2243 Foothill Blvd, La Canada Fltrdg,CA 91011

mad4books said...

Anonymous,

I just HAVE to know...did you like it? Love it? Is it the best salad dressing you've ever tasted?

Do you think I'm right--or CRAZY?

On my way to our local Big Lots,
Kristy in Texas

NancyB said...

Ah, another fan of my favorite salad dressing! I regret to inform you that it has disappeared from Denver store shelves as well, which is where I found it after it disappeared from Atlanta stores several years ago.

I'd been hauling 6 to 8 bottles from Denver to Atlanta on my 2x a year business trips...but now it's gone.

Carl said...

It disappeared once before so I started hording it when it re-appeared. I'm down to my last 3 bottles and it's been a couple of months since I've seen it on the shelves. Truly my favorite salad dressing and I can't wait to show my wife this blog so she can see I'm not the only nut freaking out by it's absence!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for New England Inn Recipes dressing as well as I am down to my last two. I found that Crowley and Shay's has migrated the recipe to their Ken's brand. You may already know this.

Peakabooboola said...

I have been begging for 2 years to get the Classic Greek in my little local grocery store. Now I know why they haven't gotten it. I still have the empty bottle, I'm looking at it as I type. OMG it was great!

I used it to make my suddenly salad and soaked tomatoes, olives, radishes, green onions and cucumber in it. SIGH!